This ancient well is an example of what Pangkorians would use as their water source during the olden days when there wasn’t tap water supply. This well in particular, was said to have existed since the early days of British colonisation. People in the area would use the water primarily for cleaning purposes.
Until today, the well remains a fond memory for older folks that are still living in the area. Residents here recalled that, people would crowd the well in the early mornings to carry out their laundry duties. Similarly, children would spend their evenings bathing themselves with the refreshing well water. At that time, one could touch the water merely by reaching out to the surface of the well. As time went by, the well water gradually diminished.
Another interesting fact about this well is that, possibly due to its proximation to the sea, the well water is noted for its hints of saltiness. For this reason, well water from this particular well is not drinkable. However, until this day, residents would still use water from it to clean their dishes and do their washing when there is water shortage in the area.
Fu Lin Gong Temple
Fu Lin Gong Temple, situated in Sungai Pinang Besar, is the largest Chinese temple in Pangkor. In the back garden, there is a mini ‘Great Wall of China’, an eccentric architectural feature of the temple. Another interesting aspect can be found on the roof: all 12 Chinese zodiac signs were integrated into the design. Visitors who do not mind a hike could also climb up the hill behind the main temple area to take in the picturesque view of multi-coloured Kampung rooftops, the vast ocean, the fishing boats and the ever-so-blue sky of Pangkor.
Apart from the lavishly-designed exterior, there is also a very unique exhibit inside the temple – a medium-sized drum that grows hair! Words spread like wild fire. Pangkorians were eager to witness for themselves this hair-growing drum, an unusual phenomenon that was rumoured to be the manifestation of the Gods. People started collected bits of hair to place in their wallets as they believe that it would bring prosperity to them.
There is an interesting tale of Fu Ling Gong Temple. Iron-Crutch Li (one of The Eight Immortals of the Taoist pantheon), who was also the Head of Gods of the temple, invited Lord Guan to oversee the running of temple. The righteous Lord Guan accepted the offer. When he completed his duty at the temple, Li pleaded Lord Guan to serve for another term. What Lord Guan didn’t know, was that this would take him another 12 years!
Opposite the The Dutch Fort lies an inscribed stone known as Batu Bersurat or Historical Rock. The rock is 10.7m long and 4.6m wide, standing at 4.3m in height. On the surface of the stone, the side facing the vast sea, one could see carving that reads ‘I F CRALO 1743? and ‘VOC’. VOC is an acronym for the Dutch East India Company.
Beside it, there is another engraving of a tiger and a child. The story goes that a child of a certain Dutch dignitary was taken away by a tiger when he was playing near the rock. However, most believe that this was a lie. Some claimed that the boy was actually kidnapped and killed by the Malays and Bugis, who were angry at the Dutch for ill-treating their people.
The Dutch Fort
The Dutch Fort located in Teluk Gedung, is approximately 2 km from Pangkor Jetty. The fort was built by the Dutch in the 1670s for the purpose of storage and protection of tin supplies. The fort was also an important hub for trading.
The fort went through several phases of destruction and reconstruction. It was destroyed in 1960s by Malays who were unhappy with the way the Dutch were monopolizing the mining industry. In 1743, Dutch rebuilt the site and appointed soldiers to protect it against future threat. When the Dutch colony retreated in 1748, the fort was abandoned altogether. In 1973, Malaysia’s museum department reconstructed the fort and included it as a historical site.